Preparing for your launch
Up to a week (and at least 24 hours) before you plan to launch, you should:
- Create redirects
- Configure page metadata
- Create a LAUNCHING ticket with ProudCity support
If you are migrating from an existing website, you should ensure that visitors trying to access pages on your old website are properly redirected. Not only does this keep your visitors happy, but it also helps with Search Engine Optimization (SEO).
- Look at the analytics for your existing website, and make a note of the page path (usually everything after “http://mysite.com”)
- Find the corresponding page on your new ProudCity website, and either
- Create a redirect:
- Go to Settings > Redirects
- Click on the Create Redirect Rule button at the top of the page
- Enter a value for Redirect from and Redirect to:
- Or edit the new ProudCity page, changing page permalink to match the path on the old site:
Configure page metadata
Adding page metadata helps improve your site’s presence in Google search results and social shares. It will also help make your site search more effective! We recommend setting custom metadata for at least your 20 most popular pages (based on historical analytics data), but, as always, the more the better.
- Edit your page
- Click on Yoast SEO below The Editor
- Under the Keyword tab, click on the Edit snippet button
- Enter a SEO title and Meta description
Create a LAUNCHING ticket with ProudCity support
At least 24 hours before you launch, create a support ticket with the title, “LAUNCHING: <your website name>”. This will provide one place for us to make all launch-related communication and will instruct our engineering team to prepare your production environment.
In this ticket include:
- Your TEST website URL.
- Your website’s URL(s), including any additional domains that should be redirected. Please specify your primary URL (whether it should be www.mysite.com or mysite.com).
- Your launch timing: When will the DNS changes be made.
- If you are a Turnkey Onboarding customer and would like us to configure your DNS, we’ll gather your domain control panel username and password during a weekly meeting.
Are you using our turnkey onboarding service? If so, we can configure your DNS for you if you provide your domain control panel username and password.
- Edit DNS settings
- Update LAUNCHING ticket
- Wait for response from ProudCity engineering team to verify DNS propagation Let’s Encrypt SSL installation.
Edit DNS settings
Once you have submitted your LAUNCHING support ticket and have verification that our engineering team has prepared your production environment, you are ready to change your DNS information.
- Log in to your domain control panel, and click on configure your DNS settings. The location of these settings varies by domain registrar. Here are steps for some common registrars:
- Network Solutions
- For other registrars, search for “edit dns settings <registrar name>”
- You will need to create or edit the A records for both mydomain.com (“@”) and www.mydomain.com (“www”). The IP address to use for the A records is 188.8.131.52. Note: If your registrar has a CNAME record pointing to “@”, this is acceptible as well.
- Example configuration in GoDaddy:
Update LAUNCHING ticket
Respond to your LAUNCHING ticket verifying that the DNS changes have been made. We will monitor your DNS propagation. Typically this only takes an hour or so, but depending on the host and TTL (Time to Live) settings, it may take longer. Once your DNS has propagated, we will install your Let’s Encrypt SSL certificate and respond to your ticket verifying that your website is LIVE!
Note: If your DNS propagates before our engineering team installs the SSL certificate, visitors to mysite.com will be temporarily redirected to your mysite.proudcity.com subdomain.
After your launch
Are you using our Turnkey Onboarding service? If so, we will submit your website to Google Webmaster Tools and Bing for you.
After you launch, you should tell Google (and Bing!) about your new website.
Submit to Google
- Go to Google Webmaster tools: https://www.google.com/webmasters/tools/home (and login with your Gmail account, if necessary)
- Click Add Property
- Use the TXT DNS record verification method. Select your registrar (if it is not pre-selected) and follow the steps.
- In the left sidebar, click Crawl > Fetch as Google
- Leave the URL box blank, select Desktop and click Fetch and Render
- Leave the URL box blank, select Mobile: Smartphone and click Fetch and Render
- Wait for each fetch to complete. For each entry, click the Submit to Index button
- In the popup select, Crawl this URL and its direct links, enter the CAPTCHA and click Go